We have a new and very addicting hobby.....
This year we finally tapped our trees.We put out 36 taps and so far, we have boiled down 360 gallons of sap from those taps! We have made over 9 gallons of syrup! I am so thrilled for many reasons but the biggest two are:
1. We have our *own* source,off of our *own* property of healthy,WHOLE, sugar!
2. It is SOOOO much fun! From start to finish it is absolutely fascinating.....
The buckets hanging on the trees and hearing the drip,drip,drip......The taste of the clear,sweet sap......The smell of the steam as the sap boils down and starts to become concentrated......
Tasting.....Finishing off the syrup....Watching the golden syrup pour of of the ladle and waiting to see the "apron" which lets me know it is done......Filling my jars....Letting the children lick all of the bowls,spoons,funnels......Putting my cooled jars of syrup away.....Pancakes with maple syrup that we made ourself!.....Making maple cream,sugar,candy and butter! I plan on posting recipes/methods for all of the things I have tried.....I am amazed at how many delicious things you can make out of just 100% maple syrup! This is a dream come true of mine!
Now I really want a stack of pancake to go with that. Oddly enough we are out of syrup too. How did that happen?
ReplyDeleteIt does make you hungry for pancakes doesn't it??? :) You can't imagine the thrill we got when we ate our *own* syrup on pancakes for the first time!!I still plan on sending you some syrup!!
ReplyDelete