Philippians 2:3-5
"Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory;but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Look not every man on his own things,but every man also on the things of others.
Let this mind be in you,which was also in Christ Jesus:"
I think these verses are HUGE for Christians and just society period.This *is* Christianity, and even though only Christians *really* understand the depth of it, think how society would be if *everyone* considered themselves first.That *is* what is happening in the world but thankfully,at this point,there are still many,many,many loving,caring,good hearted NON christians.They are getting fewer and fewer though.Especially in the younger generations!
The attitude taught in the above verses is one that my dh and I are really,really,passionate about instilling into our children.Think of all the areas it applies to.If you are considering *others* above yourself you will :
Show up to work on time and do a good job.
Be thankful for whatever food you are served.
Be thankful PERIOD.
Forgive.
Speak kindly.
Be honest.
Not be judgmental.
The list goes on and on.......As mothers,we have so many things we want to instill in our children.If we can instill the attitude of dying to self we have instilled one of the most important things.This will effect every part of their adult lives from their career to marriage.A selfish person is a terrible thing.
The area of selfLESSness that I wanted to talk about in this post is making others feel like a burden.Do you? It is so easy.I have always been big on doing favors for others without letting them know how they are inconveniencing me.(If they are)If I ask for help and I can sense that the person isn't *truly* happy to help,but is complaining inwardly,I would rather not have the help.No one wants to feel like a burden.It is a miserable feeling! When my dh asks me "Can you do me a favor?" I always say "Sure!". I feel like if I say "What?" first that I am saying "Well,let me know what it is first and I will decide if I feel like doing it." I like to let him know that I am willing and happy to help him with *whatever* he needs help with.It is not conditional.I know he will not ask anything unreasonable of me and if for some reason ,what he asks is impossible for me to do because of circumstance, I can tell him that and he will understand.He knew that I had a willing heart though.Now we may not be able to reply with a "Sure!" to just anybody's request of a favor because some people *are* unreasonable and there are also some things that we just don't have the time to do.I think we can always reply with a happy "I would surely love to help you if it is possible for me.....What do you need?"If we *do* decide to help someone,it should be done without sighs and complaining.It should be done joyfully.Not that you have to necessarily love what they are asking you to do,but love that you have the opportunity to help.Also remember that Christians should be doing everything "as unto CHRIST".
Another thing I have been thinking about recently.......The same thing but a step further.When someone comes to your house or calls to ask you a favor and you say "Sure!" do you then hang up the phone/shut the door and let out a big sigh in front of your children and begin to complain about it? I am really feeling convicted about that lately and feeling like it is hypocrisy.It does not seem right for my children to see me smile happily at my neighbor and tell him "Sure we can help!" and then as soon as they are out of sight they see my smile vanish and the complaints start.Not only that but how would you feel if the tables were turned?YOU needed help and your neighbor happily agreed.How would you feel if you knew that your happy,willing to help neighbor was griping and complaining behind your back? We are to treat others the way WE would like to be treated.
Do our husbands feel that we are always happy to serve them?Do they feel they could ask a favor and that we are always glad to help if possible?
Do our children feel that they are a joy to us?Do we sigh and complain about our jobs and make them feel like they are burdening us?
I am really going to be concentrating on this and making sure that I am *truly* Christlike in this area.I have much work to do.*Especially* with my children.I need to do my job with joy and thankfulness.If Christ were here (and HE IS!) I wouldn't be giving impatient sighs because I have to correct a child yet *again*.I desired children so much and he has granted me the desires of my heart! I should be THANKFUL that I have them to train! Thankful that I have them to correct! A burden is something that we would like to be FREE of! Lord please keep me from portraying that attitude that my children are a burden!
Angie,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post!! I am such a complainer and whiner and sigh-er!! I always encourage my children to say, "Sure, Mom, love to!" when I ask them to do something but I usually just say, "Sure" but w/ no enthusiasm. I am convicted and inspired! I love your blog background! It totally fits you!
Love,
Marci
It fits me huh? I think I will keep it then! :) I wasn't sure!
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean...I am a sigher too...thus my own conviction and then this post! Just remember when you struggle along that I am struggling right along with you!
wow. i think i am guilty of this, and didnt even realize it! Thank you for this!
ReplyDeleteoh, and i too LOVE the background! :)
ReplyDeleteI am happy that it could be of some encouragment to you Amanda! Thats the second vote to keep the background! :) Think I will keep it! :)
ReplyDelete