"A big,fat,bowl of dumplings,boiling in the pot.Sugar them and butter them and eat them while they're hot."


Ok,they are actually Caramel Apple Dumplings but last night I made them with my dd on her special night with me and we had a great time coming up with all sorts of "D" adjectives describing the dumplings.I won't list them because some are completely silly but we sure did laugh.lol
3 cups water
2 cups brown sugar (We used 1/2 sucanat)
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
Combine the above and bring to a boil in a large suacepan.
Dumplings:
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 TB baking powder
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups diced apples
Mix dry ingredients,cut in butter(or melt it) and and then fold in vanilla,milk and apples.
Drop by spoonfulls into the boiling syrup.Cover tightly and cook on low for 8-10 minutes.Don't open the lid for atleast 8 minutes.You can't peek on dumplings,they need that hot air/steam to cook properly.Check the center after 8 minutes and if they are still not done (they should be like a really moist biscuit.....not doughy but not dry either.) then give them another 5 and they should be.
Serve with sweetened vanilla cream or ice cream!




Yum! :D
ReplyDeleteYummy! I want to try those!
ReplyDeleteMisty
Mmmmmmmm!! Those look so yummy! I will be trying these soon!
ReplyDeleteTried them! DELICIOUS!!!!
ReplyDelete