Monday, May 11, 2009

Apple bars with peanut butter,cream cheese frosting....

I served my husband a plate with these with his coffee this evening when he got home from work.....I held my breath as I asked him "Welllllll? How do you like them?" SO many of the healthy "desserts" I make he thinks are just "alright".....I get so excited when he actually LOVES something...! He said that he loves them! HE thought they were excellent! I am so happy :) Another keeper.....

Anyhow,I made this recipe up today when my children wanted me to pack them a picnic.They *love* going on picnics....I know how much we love apples w/ peanut butter as a snack so I thought I would try to combine the flavors in a "bar".....Whole wheat,wholesome sweetener,lots of good fat and protein too!They are delicious.....

BARS:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup apple sauce
1 cup maple syrup
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 -1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 TB baking powder
3 apples diced up

FROSTING:

1/4 cup maple syrup
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

For bars......Beat together first the first eight ingredients......Add flour and then baking powder right on top on beaten ingredients.Stir.....You can seperate the dry ingredients first and mix them seperately and THEN add them if you want to but this is an unnecessary step and I never do it! My baked goods always turn out great.....Anyhow,then add the apples and stir them in...Grease pan....I baked this in a large sheet pan but you could use a 9x13 if you wanted more of a cake....If you use a sheet pan,bake at 425 for 15-20 min.....IF a cake pan.....probably closer to 30 minutes....

For frosting....Beat everything but the syrup together until fluffy....slowly add syrup.....Frost bars when cool! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment