Saturday, May 16, 2009

Making an herbal tincture or vinegar.....

I thought I would write about this today as this is one of the things I am going to do today!

For tincture:

For a basic tincture you will need......

A glass jar (canning jars are the best)
The herb/herbs you want to tincture
Vodka/glycerine/rum/brandy

You can use dried herbs but fresh are the best!

If you are using fresh herbs....Chop the herbs coarsely and pack them into the jar....Don't pack them in SOLID but do pack slightly.....Fill the jar with your choice of alcohol (not rubbing alcohol of course!!!),label and let sit in a dark place for atleast 6 weeks.....Strain,bottle,label and use.Tinctures last for years..... If you are doing dried herbs...Fill your jar about 1/3 full of dried herb and then pour 1 cup of boiling water over them.Make sure they are all moist.....Wait a few minutes and then add your alcohol or "menstrum" (The correct term for the liquid you use to tincture your herbs....)

Making tincture is extremely easy and can save you alot of money! Tinctures are expensive to buy and the quality of most that you *can* buy wouldn't compare to the quality of fresh,homeade tinctures!

You can really have fun with homeade tinctures! Make up your own combinations....You can even add fruits! I love experimenting with different herbs/fruits and see how good I can get the tincture to taste. They can be really good.....You can also add sweetener to the finished tincture to make it taste better....Mollasses,maple syrup,honey etc......Glycerine makes a really good,naturally sweet tasting tincture but *supposively* it doesn't extract as much from the herb as alcohol.You can use flavored alcohol too but the stronger the alcohol,the more good stuff you will extract from the herbs so the flavored/sweetened alcohols aren't *as* good....

Today I am making CHICKWEED tincture AND Vinegar.....

FOR VINEGAR......

Make herbal vinegars the same way you would tinctures except use applecider vinegar (I use the good RAW stuff) for your menstrum and you only need to let it sit for 2 weeks.You can let it go longer if you want! Don't cover it with a canning jar lid though....It can rust fast and the lid is SO hard to get off! A baggy with a rubberband tied around it works great. Herbal vinegars are excellent for you.Raw apple cider vinegar is mineral rich and wonderful for you by itself but when you soak herbs in it the calcium from the herb readily dissolves into the vinegar and you then have an extremely mineral rich product!They can taste great too....Later on this summer when my garlic is ready to harvest I plan on making a garlic/sage/thyme vinegar.I think that would be delicious!

Read an excellent article HERE about herbal vinegars! I do not endorse this herbalists views on spiritualality at ALL.....She is very "earthy" and believes in the herbs having fairies/spirits etc.etc. and has many more wrong beliefs but she has alot of good things to say about health....

No comments:

Post a Comment