This recipe was requested by a dear MOMYS friend and so I am posting it for her BUT this isn't really a recipe! :) It is just a "throw in a little of this and a little of that" kind of recipe.:)
Making fruit syrup is EASY and not necessarily healthy :).I comfort myself with the fact that it is MUCH healthier than Mrs.Butterworths.:)
Start with ANY kind of fruit juice.In this recipe we are going to make APPLE/CINNAMON syrup.
SO juice your apples.If you do not have a juicer this is a pain.You have to steam your apples until soft and then dump everything into a pillow case and let drain.....After it cooks you can squeeze and squeeze.This is how I did it before I got my juicers.Now I am stepping up in the world and have a STEAM juicer AND a fresh fruit juicer! :) I rarely use them but when I *DO* need them they sure make life easier.
SO lets say you end up with 1 gallon of juice (and yes,you can just buy some apple juice if you want to).
In a sauce pan put your juice and then................time to add a ton of sugar :) Now you can add any kind of sugar you want....Sucanat,white sugar,brown sugar,maple syrup,corn syrup,Rapadura.......anything you like.
You can go with a thicker syrup which would be 1 part juice to 1 part sugar or you can go with a thinner syrup of 3 parts juice and 1 part sugar or anywhere in between.You will HAVE to have alot of sugar to get that syrup texture instead of juice.You don't really want to pour apple juice on your pancakes.So remember,the sugar is not for the sweetness but the texture! :)
SO just get everything boiling and skim off any foam.If you want to, you can add spices.For apple syrup you can add cinnamon,cloves and nutmeg. For a recipe that calls for 1 gallon juice I would probably add about a TB each of cinnamon and nutmeg and 1/2-1 tsp of cloves.Taste it though and add whatever you think.Boil really good for about 10 minutes then bottle and can :) I always hot water bath mine for 10 minutes.A cinnamon stick in each pint of syrup is soooooooooo pretty! You won't want to put your jars away! :) I wish I had a picture to post but I didn't make any apple syrup this year yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment