Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Easy French Bread

This is especially  for my dear friend Laurie.....:)

This is PERFECT French Bread!

I thought alot of you might be able to use it.It is the bread I make when I am in a hurry.My Mom found the recipe years ago and it has been a life saver for me alot of times! :) I love to make it with all white flour but usually don't.:)

In a small bowl mix 4.5 tsp of yeast with 1/2 cup warm water and set aside.

In a large bowl place two tsp salt and 2-4 TB butter.Add one cup of boiling water and stir until butter is melted then add 1 cup cold water.Making sure that your mixture is not to hot,(it should be just right) add your yeast mixture and 5-6 cups of flour.Stir until combined....It should be dough but still sticky.Cover and let sit for 45 minutes,stirring down every 15 minutes.NO KNEAD.:)

After 45 minutes,shape into 2 loaves of french bread (or dinner rolls,cinnamon rolls or *anything*) and place on greased cookie sheet.You can cut some fancy slits in the top of the loaves with a knife or scissors.Let rise until doubled and brush with a mixture of 1 egg yolk and 2 TB milk.Bake at 400 for about 25 minutes!

4 comments:

  1. YUM! :) I might try this today, Angie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny I just wrote french bread on my menu and didn't have a recipe. thanks angie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be making this tomorrow for my dh!!

    ReplyDelete