I thought I would share a lesson I have learned recently.....
My dh is a very hard worker and when he does something he is a very serious believer of doing it RIGHT and doing it FAST .He doesn't mess around and just takes his jobs seriously.I love that about him! Well,he tends to be in a hurry alot of the time because of this which I am *not* complaining about! I would NOT change him! :):)
Anyhow,we have two gates in our driveway (because of cattle) that we have to go in and out of every time we leave our house.When dh gets the gate he RUNS :). I am ashamed to admit that I am guilty of being irritated with him now and then for always being in such a hurry.I am even MORE ashamed to admit that when I have gotten the gates in the past I have thought to myself that "I am *not* running".Just because*he* is always in a hurry, does not mean that *I* have to be. (insert embarrassed emoticon)
Well,it never crossed my mind that it was disrespectful to think like that.I mean, he never *told* me to run and get the gates and he *wouldn't* ever tell me something like that....and just because *he* does something it does not mean that *I* have to right? I knew that it irritated him for someone to just walk regularly (he looks at it as rude to everyone else waiting) but even though I never really *thought* the thoughts in my head,looking back,it was almost as if I had the attitude of "I know you don't like it but you are just going to have to put up with it because I don't *have* to do it like that."
I have recently come to believe that I can, and *should* do things that my dh likes,or don't do the things he doesn't like, while he is around just out of respect for him.I don't have to feel that running to get the gates is necessary but I can do it for him just out of respect for him.My previous attitude was a rebellious one and I didn't even realize it.I didn't have the attitude to please my husband but to please myself.
In the mornings I have been riding up with my husband in his big truck(he drives truck) when he leaves for work.I can get his gates (It is a hassle for him to get out of the big truck,pull through the gate,get out again and shut the gate,get back it the truck etc.) and we can also pray together in peace and quiet....:) (Our children get up early) So lately,I kiss him good-bye,get out and RUN to get his gate and give him a big smile and a wave as he leaves......It feels so much better than my previous attitude and I know he appreciates it.(although we haven't even discussed it....I am curious to see if he notices it.....)
Anyhow,just thought I would share with you ladies incase you have the same problem as I did.....:)
Very interesting observation, Angie! Hmmmmm...I'm going to chew on this. I think there are a couple of things that my dh does that I have been guilty of "refusing" to do his way. Thanks for the food for thought.
ReplyDeleteHave a great evening!!
Amy
Love this Angie! Such a smiple thing can be a blessing. :)
ReplyDeletedebbie (debz@momys)
And ummm.... Angie, ever think that your dh might just like to see YOU run as you get the gates.
ReplyDelete