Friday, November 5, 2010

The home remedies I reach for first......


I love herbs.I have since I was a teen.I love growing them,gathering them,buying them and making my own teas,tinctures,salves,syrups etc.It is SO fun and satisfying.There are so many different herbs that I love and use but I thought I would post about the very first things that I reach for in almost every illness.

Cayenne/Ginger/Honey-Cayenne and Ginger both STIMULATE the body into high gear which is what you want to do when you are fighting of *anything*.You want your body working at it's best.Cayenne is great for big people.At any sign of *anythig*, pop a couple of cayenne capsules, get into a hot shower or bath and stay in as long as you can.Do that a few times a day.Ginger is a more mild stimulant but is wonderful! It is great for children and adults.A very easy way to give your children ginger is to mix it with honey.Give them a 1/4 to a 1/2 tsp mixed with honey several times a day.Ginger is also wonderful for stomach bugs.If you take enough and keep on it it can truly keep you from getting sick when everyone else is sick around you.It will make you feel hot!!I put it in the bath too.It will really heat you up! When my children are fighting something,one of the first things I do is get them into a hot bath with a stimulant.It really gets the body working well.

Garlic-I can't imagine life without garlic.Both for flavor and medicinal value.Garlic is one of the best natural antibiotics.There are many ways to take it but fresh is best.Chewing it or crushing it is supposed to be the best way to take it,Chewing up a garlic clove is really not as bad as you might think.Just have a glass of water ready.:) You can crush it,chop it,mix it with honey,put it on toast or you can even make a tea out of it.Raw is best but there are still lots of benefits in cooked garlic.My young children are not fond of chewing garlic so I chop it fine and mix it with honey.:) A couple of cloves,several times a day for adults.Less for little ones.Garlic is just fantastic for *everything*.

Echinacea - Another wonderful antibiotic! I love to grow my own echinacea and make tincture.I give a tsp or so of echinacea tincture several times a day.I will put my children on it for a coupe of weeks now and then during flu season just to give their body a boost.

Elderberry-I add fresh elderberry to my tinctures and dried elderberries to my teas.I also make elderberry syrup.They are just FULL of good stuff! They are supposed to be an excellent flu fighter!

HERB TEAS-Yarrow,Catnip,Peppermint,Chamomile and Nettle are a few of the herbs that I reach for first.It would be SUCH a hard decision but I think if I had to choose 5 leafy herbs,they would be the 5 I chose.I don't want to go into a bunch of detail about what each herb is good for as that is not what this post is about.(You can research/Google them and find TONS of info about all of the details.The Bulk Herb Store also has really good information.) BUT,hot herbal tea is wonderful for the immune system.I love to serve it to my children every morning.We go through a gallon some mornings!Yarrow is a powerhouse herb.It is very STRONG and BITTER. I don't usually use it unless I am really worried about an illness or am very serious about fighting something off.It is fantastic stuff though.Nettle (I have a blog post here about Nettle under "herbs") is a wonderful tonic herb FULL of vitamins and minerals.Peppermint is a stimulant, a decongestant,antiseptic (plus lots more!) and also makes yucky herbs taste good! :) Catnip is just a wonderful children's herb overall.Chamomile is delicious,soothing and settles the stomach.I make these herbs seperately or mix them sometimes.

Anyhow,I give my children ALL of the above stuff at the same stuff....:) Other than an occasional tylenol and one child that had antibiotics for Lymes,my children have *never* had ANY other medicine.(That I can remember)Oh,I did buy cough syrup once, years ago ,but only used it a couple of times.I use herbs for *everything*.They WORK!!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments: