Saturday, December 11, 2010

For my dear friend Brandy

We just got home from shopping (thankfully dh drove us as the roads are bad!),snow is literally pouring out of the sky,we are listening to Christmas music,making glittery paper snowflakes,baking cookies and pumpkin rolls,making candy (Buckeye balls and toffee),cleaning,building a room in the basement (well ok ok,dh is doing that.....:) ),sewing,trying to prepare all of the animals for the -30 (with windchill) weather that is predicted tomorrow and the list goes on.................

YET............In the middle of all this,because I am such a GOOD friend, (ok,I am kidding about that too but I have to give Brandy a hard time) I am stopping in the middle of ALL this to post a cracker recipe for her....She is in desperate need of one she says.....:)

SOAKED crackers :)

These are truly delicious......

3 1/2 cups of whole grain flour


1/4 cup of melted butter or coconut oil (I use butter of course lol)

Choose *1* of the below options

1 cup of water with two tablespoons vinegar
Cultured buttermilk
Yogurt
Water with a couple of TB of yogurt
Water with a couple TB of whey

Mix the flour,butter and which ever option you chose above together and let sit for atleast 6-7 but up to 24 hours.I usually let mine sit overnight.

When you are ready to bake the crackers add:

1 teaspoon of sea salt


1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

Just throw it right on the top and knead it in.You can also dress the recipe up and add spices,cheese etc.

I love to knead in a bunch of cheese and garlic!

Preheat oven to 425 and roll dough about pie crust thin.Cut into whatever shapes you want to.I usually just take the pizza cutter to it.You can be fancy and use a fork to poke holes into the dough and make them look just like "store bought".They are pretty that way.:)

I literally smother my pan with butter before laying the crackers onto it to bake.Bake for about 10 minutes depending on how you want your crackers.We like them semi crispy but not super,super crispy.

These are soooooooooooooooo good!

4 comments:

  1. Well, Angie... you are right. You are not a very good friend. YOU ARE A GREAT FRIEND!!!! I feel so special today. (I TOTALLY needed that today!)

    I am looking forward to trying my hand at these crackers tonight... with my two little girls to help. I don't know how they will turn out, but I'll post about it on *MY* blog.

    Your day sounds SO wonderful. We are getting the bad weather today and overnight to the morning. Sounds like you are going to get it after us. Brrrr.... stay safe in the blizzard... and keep those animals all tucked in and warm. (I'm talking about the moo-moos and cluck clucks... not the children! :wink:)

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I should have added... I'm going to START these crackers tonight. They should be ready in time for tomorrow night... and I am looking SO FORWARD to trying this recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another recipe I can't wait to try! Thanks Angie! (And Brandy!!!)

    ReplyDelete