because she is not thankful.
I read that line recently and loved it.
Sure,there are times to grieve.Most often though,in my life and what I see in the lives of others,99% of our unhappy moments stem from unthankfulness.
Bad moods because the house is a mess.
Attitudes because a dh isn't doing something we think he should be doing.
Feeling depressed because there is 2 ft of snow on the ground.
Pouting because we didn't get to do something that we really wanted to do.
Sighing because the toddler won't quit getting into everything.
Complaining because our groceries didn't get bagged properly at the store.
Sulking because it seems like all we do is train children.
Being impatient because our children are asking us to many questions.
I need not keep listing things because I am sure you could all add your own things to the list. It is the critical spirit.The spirit that always sees the negative instead of counting the blessings.The happy people that I know in life are not the ones that I hear complaining at the hardware store about how miserable the weather is.They aren't obsessed with discussing how high the gas prices are or how bad the economy is.Sure,they know about those things and don't like them etc. but they know that there is no purpose in dwelling on those things because there is nothing they can do about them.Dwelling on them only causes unhappiness.Happy people look on the bright side.There is always a bright side.Hapy people find the JOY in the moment.
Hebrews 13:5
Let your conversation be without covetousness;and be content with such things as ye have:for he hath said,I will never leave thee,nor forsake thee.
Following that scripture is the key to JOY.
From the big things down to the tiny things.
I know of people who have terrible/tragic things happen to them and they are still full of joy.
I know of others who have it *all* but are miserable all the time.
Happiness is an attitude.It is not about circumstance.Do you ever find yourself saying or thinking "Well,I would be hapy too if I had what she had..........." or "Well no wonder she is always smiling,she has everything she wants........." If you are waiting for your husband to treat you better, or for your house to get organized, until you are happy, you will be waiting for a loooooooong time.Why? because you will *never* be happy if you are depending on circumstances to make you happy.
Practice makes perfect.This is another wonderful thing that I have read recently.If you have no knowledge whatsoever on how to play the violin and you pick it up and try to play your favorite song you are going to fail miserably.If you start practicing every day,before you know it your fingers will find the notes with ease.You don't even have to think about it.You can play the notes with your eyes closed,in the dark,while having a conversation with someone........The same goes for practicing thankfulness.If you struggle with anger,frustration,impatience when trials happen sart practicing patience and contentment........before you know it,it will become easier and easier and next thing you know,some little person will spill a glass of milk all through your purse and you will honestly be able to calmly say "It's ok sweetheart,I know you didn't mean to.Atleast I have a new box of checks to replace the drenched ones,I am rich enough to be able to buy a new purse if I need to,credit cards are plastic,sunglasses can be washed and best of all,I have been blessed with a little child that spills milk!!"
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(I removed the last comment because... I found some serious grammatical errors. *blush* Here it is fixed...
ReplyDeleteYou must have been working on this post for a few days. I've been checking your blog daily... and this hasn't been there until today. LOL! I sure could have used this two days ago. (Of course, it is still profitable.) Great post. I am glad to see you differentiated the difference between "happiness" and "joy". I am "happy" most of the time. I do not complain about much, nor dwell on the negative- very often. But I still do. While not often, I am still tempted at times to gripe about the grocery worker who puts juice on top of my eggs or raw meat with my apples, children who lack self-control, family who is prone to always being late, etc. I think EVERYONE fails in this area at times. We allow our focus to become skewed and lose our Joy...even though we might have happy moments in between- our life loses the characteristic of being filled with joy. (Or at least, I've never met an honest person yet, who says they don't fail and struggle with ingratitude or even just wrong attitudes.) If it were not a problem among the Lord's People, He would not have had any reason to put it in Scriptures for generations to come. Nor would He have given us examples of both sides! What a great reminder to be thankful in all things, and to find joy in the Lord. :)
UGH! haha -- just joking :)
ReplyDeleteI really needed to read that tonight. Thank you.