Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cleaning with natural products instead of chemicals

I had a scare a few weeks ago.I have some cleaner called "Genie cleaner".I bought a whole case of it from a traveling salesman about 10 years ago.I bought it because it seemed to work great and it was "all natural".He even licked the little tube that goes down into the cleaner to show me...:)

It is concentrated though until you mix it and what he licked was mixed.

Anyhow,I don't use any chemical cleaners (well,hardly any).That Genie cleaner was as close to chemical as I have.The other day my 1yo picked up a bottle from under the sink....(I forgot it was even there as I rarely ever use it.) Someone had the lid off! Yes....he tipped that bottle and drank some.I have no idea how much but I assume it wasn't very much.He started choking and gagging on it.I could hear it gurgling in his chest and he ended up throwing up too.To make a long story short,he was fine thank God.I was so thankful though that it wasn't a REALLY bad cleaner! It really scared me.

So I thought I would post about some of my favorite natural cleaners.

I LOVE for my house to smell good.I am not one of those who does not like scent! I really do love scented cleaners.laundry soaps,bleach,fabric softner etc. I used to love to use my Lysol.!I also really miss my Downy! I don't use either anymore(and haven't for years) though because I don't trust them.Anyhow,I really do NOT like to use stuff like plain white vinegar for cleaning.Yuck!

ESSENTIAL OILS are the answer!!!!! :):)

Orange,grapefruit,lemon,cinnamon,tea tree and lemongrass are my favorites!!

For a disinfectant spray mix 3 cups of water.1 cup of vinegar and several drops of essentila oil.

Furniture polish/dusting stuff mix 1 cup oil with 1/4 cup vinegar and several drops of essential oil.

Mix baking soda and salt with several drops of essential oil to make a neat carpet fresh powder.I also like to mix actual cinnamon and cloves in it.Let sit for 15 min and vacuum up.

I like to put several drops of essential oil in my diapers to disinfect them and make them smell good.

Save your orange and lemon peels and put them in a quart jar and cover with vinegar and let sit for 2 weeks.It makes a wonderful citrus smelling vinegar!!!

I used to love air freshener spray and always had it on hand but essentail oil diffusers are much healthier and smell wonderful.You can get plug in kinds or little rings to sit on top of a light bulb in a lamp.

Anyhow,I know this stuff is no secret.Lots of Mammas use natural cleaners but you never know,you might see one that you have never thought of before.If you have any other neat ones please comment and let me know! :)

3 comments:

  1. So neat!! I love this, Angie! Great ideas! :) I also will put a lemon/lime peel down my garbage disposable - grinding it up! Makes a wonderful smell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I too LOVE all the smelly stuff and am sad when "natural" means "blah". What great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of EO do you use for diapers and how do you use it? I started using cloth for Aaron and am having trouble keeping them smelling good without using bleach.

    ReplyDelete